Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups – Once regarded as the “gold standard” in lithotomy positioning stirrups
(*UPDATE: While Yellofins® are still very high quality, there is a new leader in lithotomy positioning that meets or exceeds Yellofins® in every category – Kyra Comfort Stirrups)
Lithotomy stirrups enable safe and easy positioning, while providing enhanced surgical site access, and are an essential piece of surgical equipment in various procedures and scenarios.
They allow for easy adjustment of abduction and lithotomy, while maintaining the sterile field.
The assisted lift feature on Allen Medical Yellofins® stirrups is an integrated hydraulic pneumatic cylinder that neutralizes the weight of the leg.
It makes lifting the legs easier and reduces the chances of injury.
The patented Allen Medical Lift-Assist® technology allows a user to single-handedly adjust the degree of flexion, extension, adduction, abduction, and rotation.
Types of stirrups:
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups without Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups with Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Elite Stirrups with Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
Areas of use:
Gynecological examinations and natural childbirth are two examples of the need for the combination of strong support and comfort.
The ‘lateral fin’, an extension along the lateral side, covers and protects the head of the fibula and peroneal nerve.
To add extra comfort, the interior is padded.
*Note: Whenever practical, always test for comfort and range of motion before anesthesia. This allows the patient to communicate limitations of normal range, and discomfort with abnormal joint movements or stretching, which may prevent possible injury.
In addition, the self-adjusting boot minimizes pressure on the calf when moving the stirrup, while the pad completely encapsulates the foot.
Lift-Assist® technology provides easy transition of the leg into the desired position.
- Reusable Pad: Completely encapsulates the foot, ankle and calf for comfortable and secure positioning.
- Squeeze Grip Handle: Provides easy intraoperative adjustment without compromising the sterile field. Simply release the handle to secure the leg holder in all directions.
- Lithotomy & Length Indicators: Visual indicators that help ensure precise positioning.
- Safe Positioning: The Lift-Assist® handle needs to be depressed in order to manipulate the position of the stirrups. The moment the handle is released, the stirrups lock into position.
Meditek understands how important proper patient positioning is for exam and surgical procedures, as well as the financial constraints hospitals face. Although stirrups are an integral part of the operative system, they are often overlooked when it comes to state of condition.
Malfunctioning stirrups can lead to safety hazards for both the patient and caregiver, in addition to decreased comfort for the patient.
Common malfunctions that Meditek has seen over the years include:
- The handle fails to lock, which means that the stirrups will not stay in the desired position.
- Drift: Although the stirrups may initially stay in the desired position, they may become unstable and move due to gravity or being bumped.
- The boot becomes loose and sways laterally, which could cause extreme discomfort for the patient.
- The rubber boots covering the swivel joint become worn, damaged and torn.
Cost of Used Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups:
When stirrups start malfunctioning, many hospitals look to replace them with a brand new pair, which can sell for $12,000 to $15,000.
The high cost of buying new sometimes acts as a deterrent to replacing malfunctioning stirrups when they need to be replaced.
Instead, as in a lot of cases, the stirrups are used beyond their service life.
With growing budget restraints and the expectation that hospitals have to do more with less, hospitals need a way of obtaining functional equipment that fits within their allowable expenses.
Meditek’s ReNew Equipment Restoration Program accomplishes just that.
About our ReNew Process
All worn and damaged parts are replaced with OEM parts, which are then put through several vigorous tests to ensure quality.
The ReNew process restores the stirrups back to as-new condition, with the expectation that they will perform the same as new.
Not only is the ReNew option environmental friendly, but it also helps facilities maintain equipment standardization.
The added benefit of remanufactured stirrups is that they come with a two-year parts and labour warranty.
The strength of the warranty solidifies the confidence that Meditek places in its ReNew program and products.
Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups Technical Specifications:
- Lithotomy Range:
- Yellofins® and Yellofins® Elite with Lift-Assist® technology – Set the stirrup in any position between +84° to –33° lithotomy.
- Yellofins® without Lift-Assist® technology – Set the stirrup in any position between +90° to –35° lithotomy.
- Abduction Range: Set the stirrup in any position between +25° to –9° abduction
- Yellofins® weight capacity of 350 lbs/159 kg
- Yellofins® with Lift-Assist® weight capacity of 350 lbs/159 kg
- Yellofins® Elite weight capacity of 500 lbs/227 kg
Good day to you!
We have an Allen Yellowfin legholder requiring replacement of the locking mechanism because of drifting.
Would you be able to advise and itemize the following:-
1) Price of the locking mechanism
2) Estimated freight charges (to and fro)
3) Labour charges for the repair
Would it be easier to replace the locking mechanism with the help from Biomedical Engineering Department?
Would you be able to send the step-by-step guide on the replacement of the locking mechanism for our deliberation?
Singapore General Hospital
Email: [email protected]
Good Morning Wing Meng!
Thank you for reaching out to us; much appreciated. I have sent you and email with the details.
Can I please have a copy of the cleaning instructions for the yellowfins elite stirrups? What do we use to disinfect/clean this equipment?
Absolutely! I’ve emailed you over some information.
Brad Samuels | Meditek
Hi! Our yellowfin with lift assist moves when we clamp it to our hospital OR table brand Maquet. I got a video of it coz it bothers me. I would like to send you the video and hope you can help me on this . Also appreciate if you can send us brochure how to maintain it. Do you have recommendation for the clamps ? Also would like to inquire price if the Re-New Elite .
All the Best,
Email: [email protected]
Hello Melinda. Thank you very much for your comment. I have sent you an email and forwarded your inquiry to our sales and service department. You should expect someone to communicate with you shortly. Thanks again!
I would love some information on appropriate disinfection/cleaning of these stirrups. We currently have some in service and I would like to make sure they’re being appropriately managed. Thank you!
Thanks for your inquiry, I will email you the information shortly!
Brad Samuels | MEDITEK
I work at MSK and we have the yellowfin elite. would you be able to provide me the appropriate cleaning instruction.
Please call Allen Medical, the manufacturer, for the proper cleaning instructions. They can be reached at: US 978-266-4200 or INTL +1 978-266-4286
Thanks for contacting Meditek.
I am in need of some replacement parts for my left side stirrup. Do you happen to have some catalogs with pricing and availability?
Thanks for your enquiry, yes I will send you pricing and parts order information.
Brad Samuels | MEDITEK
I’ve got a Yellowfin positioner with a broken “piston/actuator” – (the piece that looks like a “piston” with all of the degree markings on it). Do you sell replacement parts? Would you send me a parts listing so that I can be more specific in what I’m looking for?
(We may just look at purchasing a refurbished one anyway.)
Thank you for your help
Thank you for reaching out. Although we are the right partner for servicing and repairing surgical stirrups, we only distribute our products and services in Canada.
Please get in touch with us at [email protected] if you have any questions.