Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups – Once regarded as the “gold standard” in lithotomy positioning stirrups
(*UPDATE: While Yellofins® are still very high quality, there is a new leader in lithotomy positioning that meets or exceeds Yellofins® in every category – Kyra Comfort Stirrups)
Lithotomy stirrups enable safe and easy positioning, while providing enhanced surgical site access, and are an essential piece of surgical equipment in various procedures and scenarios.
They allow for easy adjustment of abduction and lithotomy, while maintaining the sterile field.
The assisted lift feature on Allen Medical Yellofins® stirrups is an integrated hydraulic pneumatic cylinder that neutralizes the weight of the leg.
It makes lifting the legs easier and reduces the chances of injury.
The patented Allen Medical Lift-Assist® technology allows a user to single-handedly adjust the degree of flexion, extension, adduction, abduction, and rotation.
Types of stirrups:
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups without Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups with Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
- Allen Medical Yellofins® Elite Stirrups with Allen Medical Lift-Assist®
Areas of use:
Gynecological examinations and natural childbirth are two examples of the need for the combination of strong support and comfort.
The ‘lateral fin’, an extension along the lateral side, covers and protects the head of the fibula and peroneal nerve.
To add extra comfort, the interior is padded.
*Note: Whenever practical, always test for comfort and range of motion before anesthesia. This allows the patient to communicate limitations of normal range, and discomfort with abnormal joint movements or stretching, which may prevent possible injury.
In addition, the self-adjusting boot minimizes pressure on the calf when moving the stirrup, while the pad completely encapsulates the foot.
Lift-Assist® technology provides easy transition of the leg into the desired position.
- Reusable Pad: Completely encapsulates the foot, ankle and calf for comfortable and secure positioning.
- Squeeze Grip Handle: Provides easy intraoperative adjustment without compromising the sterile field. Simply release the handle to secure the leg holder in all directions.
- Lithotomy & Length Indicators: Visual indicators that help ensure precise positioning.
- Safe Positioning: The Lift-Assist® handle needs to be depressed in order to manipulate the position of the stirrups. The moment the handle is released, the stirrups lock into position.
Meditek understands how important proper patient positioning is for exam and surgical procedures, as well as the financial constraints hospitals face. Although stirrups are an integral part of the operative system, they are often overlooked when it comes to state of condition.
Malfunctioning stirrups can lead to safety hazards for both the patient and caregiver, in addition to decreased comfort for the patient.
Common malfunctions that Meditek has seen over the years include:
- The handle fails to lock, which means that the stirrups will not stay in the desired position.
- Drift: Although the stirrups may initially stay in the desired position, they may become unstable and move due to gravity or being bumped.
- The boot becomes loose and sways laterally, which could cause extreme discomfort for the patient.
- The rubber boots covering the swivel joint become worn, damaged and torn.
Cost of Used Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups:
When stirrups start malfunctioning, many hospitals look to replace them with a brand new pair, which can sell for $12,000 to $15,000.
The high cost of buying new sometimes acts as a deterrent to replacing malfunctioning stirrups when they need to be replaced.
Instead, as in a lot of cases, the stirrups are used beyond their service life.
With growing budget restraints and the expectation that hospitals have to do more with less, hospitals need a way of obtaining functional equipment that fits within their allowable expenses.
Meditek’s ReNew Equipment Restoration Program accomplishes just that.
About our ReNew Process
All worn and damaged parts are replaced with OEM parts, which are then put through several vigorous tests to ensure quality.
The ReNew process restores the stirrups back to as-new condition, with the expectation that they will perform the same as new.
Not only is the ReNew option environmental friendly, but it also helps facilities maintain equipment standardization.
The added benefit of remanufactured stirrups is that they come with a two-year parts and labour warranty.
The strength of the warranty solidifies the confidence that Meditek places in its ReNew program and products.
Allen Medical Yellofins® Stirrups Technical Specifications:
- Lithotomy Range:
- Yellofins® and Yellofins® Elite with Lift-Assist® technology – Set the stirrup in any position between +84° to –33° lithotomy.
- Yellofins® without Lift-Assist® technology – Set the stirrup in any position between +90° to –35° lithotomy.
- Abduction Range: Set the stirrup in any position between +25° to –9° abduction
- Yellofins® weight capacity of 350 lbs/159 kg
- Yellofins® with Lift-Assist® weight capacity of 350 lbs/159 kg
- Yellofins® Elite weight capacity of 500 lbs/227 kg